Thanksgiving Leftover Deliciousness



The day after Thanksgiving, when the refrigerator is full of leftovers and I'm still in the mood to use them, I try to be creative. So late this morning I made a batch of pie crust:

  • 2 c all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2/3 c chilled butter
  • 1/3 c +/- ice water
I put the flour in a food processor with the salt. I cut the butter into small cubes and added them to the food processor a few at a time, running the processor for a few seconds with each addition until all the butter was incorporated and the flour looked like course meal. Then I slowly added the ice water a little at a time while the food processor was running. I did this until it just started to pull away from the sides of the bowl and form a ball.
Then I put the dough onto a board with some flour and needed it just a few times, adding enough flour to make it not sticky. I formed it into a ball and placed it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill again (the dough will be more flaky if the dough is super chilled).
For the homemade 'hot pockets' I used half my dough. I rolled it out to pie crust thickness and cut it into rounds (I used a cereal bowl that was about 4 1/2 inches in diameter). In each round I put a small amount of my stash of leftovers:
  • Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • Roasted Maple Butternut Squash
Then I sprinkled a little cheddar cheese over the filling. I used my finger to put just a bit of water around the edge of the dough circle. Then slowly I folded each round in half, stretching the dough just a little to make a perfect half moon. I crimped the edges of the pies (like my mother used to do around the edge of an apple pie). I brushed a little egg wash (one egg and a few drops of water and well beaten) over the top and sprinkled each with a little kosher salt and a little pepper. I put a vertical slit in the top of the ones with turkey and a horizontal slit in the ones for me without turkey. Then I put them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. YUM!!! YUM!!
The cranberry tartlettes are right out of Martha Stewart Living's Nov. 2010 issue on page 58. Basically I put a 2 1/-4" square of pie crust from the other half of my batch that i make into the cups of a mini muffin tin. Then I put 1/2 tsp of cranberry relish into each cup. I folded the dough over and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then I brushed each with the egg wash and sprinkled sugar over the top. They cooked along with the recipe above for the 30 minutes. Super easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment