The beginnings of Thanksgiving Day dinner planning

It's Monday morning and more importantly it is three days before Thanksgiving. I have too many times planned my Thanksgiving dinner in my head and then not executed the shopping part of the event until the actual day of the meal. And nothing is worse than finding that there is no sage left in any grocery store, not to mention too many other important ingredients.

As I have gotten older I have learned the comfort in doing at least a little planning and work prior to the big day. So this morning I am going to write out my proposed menu. I say proposed because I may find something new and exciting to make over the next couple of days. Everywhere you turn there are more and more recipes on TV, in the paper and in magazines.

I know that for the Turkey I am using a recipe for the Dining Section of last week's New York Times. Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/dining/10chefrex1.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Torrisi%20Turkey&st=cse

It is a recipe for a brined turkey breast whose preparation reads as if all but the last 20 minutes of cooking can be done well in advance. Basically it is a brined breast that is finished with a honey glaze.

Now for the sides: I have many standards that I have made over the years and every year I try to mix these with one or two new ideas. So here's my first draft of the rest of the menu:

  • Fresh Fennel Pan Gravy (with Penrod and I think the anise flavor will go well with the honey glaze on the turkey. bon appetit 11/10 pg 121)
  • Apple Sausage and Sage Dressing (this is a recipe from Jasper White's Cooking From New England, a great cookbook. This recipe is hearty and I use Gimme Lean Vegetarian Sausage and vegetable broth. I have made this every year for a decade.)
  • Cornbread Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Mushroom Gravy (this is an old recipe that I have used and this dish offers a vegetarian entree at the table)
  • Celery Root and Apple Puree (this will stand in for the standard Mashed Potatoes. Recipe is from Ina Garten and uses Celery Root, Apples, Fennel and Potatoes for a super mashed root vegetable side dish: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/celery-root-and-apple-puree-recipe/index.html
  • Maple-Braised Butternut Squash with fresh Thyme (bon appetit 11/10 pg. 147)
  • Brussels Sprouts in a Horseradish Cream (another old recipe of mine that is spicy and rich so it will be a nice complement to the other sides)
  • Cranberry Relish (no one ever really eats cranberry sauce, but i love it. This recipe was given to me by my friend Mike Goebig and it is super fresh and keeps very well)

I think that I may farm desert out to a guest. I read somewhere that people who cook enjoy being a part of the dinner by bringing something that every one can fawn over. I can be a bit "it's all about me" at dinner parties, but I'm going to try to get over that...

No comments:

Post a Comment