Maple Roasted Winter Squash



This all started last fall. I bought a few mini squash to use as decoration in my house. And since I try to be an organic gardener and environmentally responsible, I tossed the squash out into my garden once the Christmas season approached and it was time to swap squash for pine cones (I do love a predictable holiday decor sometimes).

Spring came and my garden was coming to life with herbs, cucumbers and tomato plants. Then summer came, the dry heat arrived, and along with this came squash vines. And these vines grew and grew and grew. As fall approached, beautiful mini squash appeared everywhere!

I harvested twenty or so to use as decorations for a large tented dinner that we hosted in October. My three year old niece, while visiting from North Carolina, was able to harvest these mini pumpkins just days before Halloween.

Then Thanksgiving came and of course I had to used these gorgeous gourds to showcase the bounty of this fall feast day.

Anyway, practicality came into play the other night. I was hungry, there was nothing in the house to eat, and it was raining and I didn't want to go the grocery store. And then my eyes lit on the pile of mini squash that were still scattered around my dining room.

So a year after my purchase of some ornamental chachka, dinner was finally served.

Maple Roasted Squash

  • Your choice of a winter squash
  • olive oil
  • maple syrup
  • salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash in half through the stem end. Remove the seeds (save for composting and next year's bounty). Put the squash cut side up on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Mix equal parts olive oil and maple syrup. Brush liberally over the squash. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes or until the squash are fork tender.
To use any leftover roasted squash, check out the recipe for Pasta with Roasted Squash, Kale and Brown Buttered Sage in the 'main course' category.


No comments:

Post a Comment